Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Unit 7: Meeting Asciepius

This meditation exercise was difficult to me. First the speaker discussed how the mind can be chaotic like a waterfall but through practice we can quiet the mind to a river or stream. This is what I have been working on. In this "meeting Asciepius" I had a difficult time visualizing an individual that I feel is wise and loving. I visualized myself years from now. I had a difficult time stabalizing on that image. After the 4th time of re-doing this exercise I got it but it was difficult. I imagined myself being loving, kind, pure, wise and tried to see that in myself. I will say it was relaxing but I feel that I had to try much harder in this exercise than with some of the other ones.

Mindfulness and meditation have fostered an increase in my psychological and spiritual wellness. I find that it is easier for me to calm the mind now. When my children are driving me nuts I can just stop, close my eyes and breath for  a minute and bring myself to center and focus. I am finding that I can tolerate more and it has also been helping with my stress and anxiety. I can continue to apply these practices in my life to foster greater health and wellness  by doing what I have now been doing. I have been taking time out when my children go to bed and I sit in my bathroom with the candle lit and my smelly plug in that smells like lavender, I shut and lock the door and I simply have me time. I sit on the rug in the bathroom and close my eyes and calm my mind. I sometimes use the subtle mind or the loving kindness practice or I just pray.

The saying "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p. 477) means that in order to try to teach others or show others you need to have knowledge of what it is you are teaching or showing. How can you give someone directions if you yourself have never been to where they need directions to. It is like going to the gym to a trainer who is over weight, will they really be able to help you attain your goals? This applies to the health and wellness professionals because they need to know what they are talking about first hand in order to be affective and to have people trust in them. I am not going to learn the information in this class if I do not have a qualified teacher teaching me. (which I do). I think that in any field where you are working to help others you are obligated to be developing you health, psychologically, physically, and spiritualy. I could not give honest advice if I were not working on my own health. My future job is about helping others in many life circumstances but I think that my circumstances need to be well in order for me to help them with theirs.

I can implement this growth by continuing the meditation process. By continuing to eat healthy and take care of my body. 
Melinda

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, when the kids are driving me insane the deep breathes help. I even find myself doing this at work to stop and refocus my thoughts and feelings. I can say that by using loving kindness my co workers have commented on the change in me. I am ashamed to say I could be abrupt at times without even knowing it. Since I have been utilizing these unit exercises my attitude has improved and my stress level has decreased. Great blog, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I loved it when you said that you go into the bathroom and lock the door to do your meditation exercises. I chuckled a bit because when both my children were really young and I would feel so stressed out, I would lock myself in the bathroom when they went to bed and have a good cry. When I think about it now it puts a smile on my face. I decided to create a nice place to practice my meditation exercises. I was doing it in my room where it was stark white, bad lighting and crammed full of furniture. I painted calming colors, put up new window treatments and bought some lamps. I created a very "zen" place that really helps out my exercises. I also declared it a "no war zone", meaning no kids allowed. All this has really helped me to be able practice my meditation exercise better, so I understand your bathroom getaways.

    ReplyDelete