Saturday, January 22, 2011

Unit 6: Mindfulness Exercise and Assessment

The exercise and assessment process is relatively simple. When I think of an assessment I think of finding out what area needs some work. Through a series of questions we can assess ourselves and our needs. We can look at any area of our life and figure out which one is ready to change. For example it can be our relationships, something biological, environmental, or emotional development. Once we have figured out the area we then meditate and become still and release all mental activity. We then focus on the area we chose and figure out what we can hope to accomplish for this area. Then we continue this for a few days. We then come back to stillness and focus on the healing aspect, and we figure out what the next steps will be.

I have discovered at no surprise to me that I need a lot of work. But when I really sit and think about it, it isn’t as bad as I make it out to be because everything I need to do better at can be connected to something else. For example I stress a lot about little things I have no control over but perhaps I can meditate and exercise to help me deal with my stress. While I am meditating I am also calming my mind and body and reducing my anxiety which I have a lot of. By exercising I am not only helping myself to deal with stress but I am helping my physical body. I also find that when I exercise I can think more clearly so I sometimes use that time to sort out some things in my head. However I went to the gym the other day, first time in a long time and I felt great then I caught whatever illness the my kids had days before only it hit me much harder because I was taking care of them, not sleeping or eating right myself. So now I have these, flu like symptoms and pain in all the areas I worked out. But I still somehow feel good mentally.

Well I have kind of answered the blog questions backwards here. The area I need to focus on would be mental; stress. I have chosen this area because it is the route of all evil for me. I get so stressed out about things I have no control over and it causing me to have panic attacks or to feel physically sick. I also sometime especially with school work have mental meltdowns when I am not understanding anything. I will re-read a million times ask my husband for help and I get no where. I no family where we are and we are the west coast they are on the east and by the time I get home from work, done cooking and cleaning and get a chance to sit and do some school work everyone back home that I could talk to are sleeping because of the three hour difference. I find myself stressing that too. But the list could go on and on forever. I have always had bad anxiety attacks that I take medicine for because sometimes it feels like I am having a heart attack of some sort. I am finding though that using many of these techniques is helpful now if I can become more holistic or integral and really apply it all the time in my life I think I can minimize the stress or even learn how to not stress some of the silly things I stress.  

7 comments:

  1. HI Min,

    I just want to let you know that after reading your post, I felt a wave of compassion come over me. I totally understand your situation of not living in the same state or time zone as your family...and with a husband working in another state and not seeing him on a regular basis; well, I can understand the need to talk to someone besides kids :)

    I read that you recently went to the gym; exercising is a great way for you to reduce stress and improve your physical health. You also mentioned meditation for calming your mind and body; again, another great way to reduce anxiety and help you maintain balance; mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually.

    That said, I find that I tend to be like you; too hard on myself and having too many responsibilities to tend to throughout the day. However, I find that the more I keep up with my mental and physical activities, the more I am able to maintain a calm mind, which helps me to focus on what I am doing. Hence, I am able to accomplish my tasks without stressing out. Sure, school can bring on meltdowns, but that is a sign to attend to ourselves, such as engaging in some type of mental activity, eating a meal, taking a break, or talking to someone...I have 3 dogs, and they are great listeners! As such, mental activities help us to gain insight and awareness, which will help us understand why we are doing the things we do. Moreover, if you allow yourself to see the positive things you are doing with your life; you develop a sense of meaning and purpose while you gain fulfillment and higher self-esteem that will boost your self-confidence. Likewise, I understand about the reading; it can be complex at times, but I find that taking a short break during my readings helps to clear my mind and gives me a chance to find some peace and stillness. I don’t know if you have considered deep breathing exercises while feeling anxious; but deep, rhythmic breathing helps slow down the heart rate, which calms the body. Try it and see if this might also help to alleviate your anxiety.

    As we have learned, stress can affect our mental health, which can lead to premature disease. At least, you are aware of your stressors and are working to find balance in your life. If you keep up with that all you are currently doing, I am sure your activities will help you find peace of mind and get you back on the road to health. Take a deep breath and visualize the positive.

    Be well,

    Allana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Min,
    You are doing realy well. It sounds like you don't think you are, but I think this class has taken you a long ways. You were physically ill and in pain yet you felt good mentally. That is a good sign that you are getting your mental exercises in. You also now know what you need to work on and it sounds like you are easing some of that anxiety. It is hard to do everything at first, but the more we do these things they will eventually become second nature; things that we do automatically. Such as working out, the more you do it the more it will feel wrong to not take that time every day. Also the more you meditate to ease your anxiety the more it will be come natural for you to instantly turn to meditation when you feel anxiety coming on.
    Don't worry, you are on the right track and going strong :) Just keep it up!
    Be Well,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Min,
    After reading your whole post, it sounds like you are on the right track, you need to give yourself more credit. You recognized where you needed more support and you set out to achieve that, even with the physical set back you still went forward, went for the workout did it in pain, still got the mental workout. Even in the school work, you did not give up, you simply re-read umty-thousand times until you got it, I call that persistent and strong.
    I did feel a kinship with you because I am also on the west coast and I too need to re-read several times for understanding. Fit all that in along with work and family it can get very tense. But I do find the mental exercises do help in relaxing my mind. Especially the meditation, I have even begun to sleep better, something I have not done in years!
    It seems to be that you are really headed in the right direction. Stay on track you'll get there. Thank you for sharing!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems there are many in our class that need to work on their stress. I think it is an everyday battle but if you continue doing the practices and relaxation techniques it will help you achieve a more calm, positive state of mind. You have to ability to stay focused and are willing to go to any lengths to accomplish your goals. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Stress is a big problem for most people, even to the point of beginning to effect a persons health. Learning how to deal with stress is an important strategy to learn. I need to develop my stress handling techniques as well. I often get panic attacks as well, and they are such a horrible feeling. Luckily I do not get them as much as I once did. Hopefully as I learn more techniques of dealing with my stress, I will be able to get rid of them completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening Min,

    Just want to encourage you to keep up the good work and don't give up. I have a lot of work to do in the areas of stress management and care-taking. I have a tendency to stress out and over react to things I have completely no control over. I guess you could say that Im a control freak in some ways. I always have to have a hand in trying to make things turn out the way that I want them to, and when they don't I tend to get very, very upset. However, I have found that through using some of the meditation techniques we have learned in this course, I am able to calm down, take a step back, take a deep breath and at times relinquish total control unto God. This takes daily practice and I don't always get it right, but what can I say, I'm a constant work in progress. Hang in there, you can do it.


    Blessings,

    Ebony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stress can be a total downer to many people so don't feel like you are alone. It is an evil thing that catches us off guard but this is where these brilliant exercises come into play to help us. I really enjoyed doing these exercises and a few i made up just to help and it really does work. Just thinking positive and realizing not everything has to be as hard as we make it out to be. Cristina Holcomb

    ReplyDelete