Saturday, January 1, 2011

Unit 3: Crime of The Century

On a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being optimal well being) I rate my physical at a 5, my spiritual at a 7, and my psychological at a 3. I rate myself with a 5 in physical because I think that I could eat better and be in better shape, but I am happy where I am. I just know that I can do better given the abilities. I rated my spiritual at a 7, because I think that I am pretty good in that department. I feel I have a close bond with what I believe. I may not go to church but I don't believe I have to in order to believe. Also we are stationed in a very small town where everyone knows everyone, and everyone has something negative to say about someone. Everyone goes to the same churches and I would rather stay out of the negative banter by simply not going and having my own prayer time at home with my family as well as discussions. I rate my mental at a 3 because I need help in that department. I am always highly stressed and to be completely honest it's over things I have no control over. I have panic attacks for no reason and stress makes them worse. I have tried breathing techniques, and other things to help but it doesn't work. So I take medicine for my anxiety because it is so bad that at least 3 times a week I feel like I am having some weird sort of heart attack.

Goals that I could set for each area would be for physical try to work out, even if it is only for 10 minutes a day. When reading Dacher there was a section that spoke about giving something up that is only for external pleasure, so I plan to give up watching the shows that I tivo to spend time on my integral health. In the time it takes for me to watch one show I can exercise physically for 15 minutes, meditate for 15 minutes, and do some prayer for 15 minutes. It wouldn't take much out of my day or affect the millions of other things I have to do. And it would be better relaxation than sitting on the couch watching those crazy housewives.

The activities I plan to do are to take 15 minutes a day to exercise one body part each day, and take another 15 minutes to go walking with my son. As far as my mental I think that doing these relaxation techniques are great, however I never have alone time. I attempted to do both of the relaxation techniques about 3 times before I could actually do it and there were still some minor interruptions when I was finally able to. I plan to put my kids to bed at 8 pm like I always do and use that first half hour to either do some yoga, that I tivo'd or to do one of these relaxation techniques and then continue my school work. As for my spiritual I am going to keep doing what I do, praying with my son, praying when I go on walks, enjoying earth and culture. I think that I will also watch one of my favorite shows again "Joel Olsteen", which has always helped me and been like church in my living room.

The Crime of The Century relaxation technique was great once I was finally able to get into it. I had many many disruptions and had to stop about 3 time on 3 different days. Finally just now I was able to finish. I felt it difficult to at first let my mind relax, I was constantly thinking and thinking. But finally I was able to focus. The next part I found difficult was the colors. I was focusing on myself being a prism, but I couldn't see any colors. So I restarted the exercise and tried again. I finally got it and wow I felt so relaxed I swore I must have fallen asleep right at the end, and then he said open your eyes. I was sitting here thinking what happened. But then I opened my eyes and felt a bit tired but once I stretched and moved I felt refreshed and best of all relieved. I can't tell you how good it feels to feel relieved, I am so uptight sometimes. I think that this is something I will just have to make time for. I forgot what it was like to have time for myself, even if it was only those 10-15 minutes to relax. I really enjoyed this and look forward to the next one.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really put much effort into your blog. I like how honest you are and not afraid to say hey ya i did get distracted but i redid it until i got in my head. I understand how distractions are. Between my mom and my fiance it gets interesting. I like how you focus on a different part of the body for exercise each day. That is a really great thing to do and something i wanna try. I have heard of doing that before but never realized just how beneficial it might be. Have a great night and thanks for creating such a great blog. i liked reading all your thoughts on the different subjects, :) cristina holcomb

    ReplyDelete